Every trip stuff breaks or gets lost or gets left at home. The first thing on this trip was the realisation that I'd brought the wrong cable for my Pebble steel. Getting a replacement on the road will be pretty much impossible so I needed to get an interim fix. A quick internet search revealed a bunch of lashups that didn't really inspire, but did confirm the polarity - 0v in the middle & 5v at the bottom. I'd originally thought of making little spring connectors glued onto a plastic back, with 2 part epoxy putty holding it together and soldered to and old usb cable. To be honest it sounded a bit fiddly and time consuming, but it was a starting point, which quite often reveals the best solution. When I went to look for a cable to cut up, the obvious choice was the 10 way multi charger that I carry in case something unusual needs charging.
While trying to decide which connector to sacrifice (probably apple), I noticed that the sony/ericcon K750 connector had spring terminals, which coincidentally are the same pitch as the pebble pads
A second piece of tape over the top makes the connection a bit tighter.