Monday 23 March 2015

Dash Cam

Although I'm not overly paranoid about such things, but after watching a YouTube video last year, where a pedestrian throws himself onto the bonnet of a stationary car, it was in my mind to get a dash cam. Also it may be nice to capture some of the more exciting roads we sometimes end up on.
As usual there is a great resource online at https://dashcamtalk.com.
After reading up for a few hours I went for a Mobius Action Cam, because of its small size, since I'll probably keep it mounted all the time.


I did not want to mount it to the windscreen, both to keep it discreet and because it may have interfered with the thermal screen. So I hacked up an old table cloth clip, to fashion a clip to attach the camera to the head lining.

This is the original clip (Clas Ohlson)


After sawing the motif off, and trimming and bending the spring steel clip, this is what I ended up with

With a bit of sticky velcro

Mounted camera


The mini USB at the rear is connected to the van 5V supply, via a relay powered by the ignition 12V.
The camera is configured to start automatically when the power is connected, and stop 10s after the power is cut. The recording function created an new slip every 5 minutes, and will record over the first clip again when the card is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment